Sunday, August 30, 2009

What I love about Sundays

We have been having a wonderful sermon series at church called What I love about Sundays. Each week we have focused on different parts of Sunday service that we love from tithing to music to fellowship. Today the sermon focused on Baptisms. We baptized over 35 people today. And Pastor Mike talked about his memories of past baptisms. That made me ponder the baptisms I have seen over the years, starting with my own.

On March 10, 1990, my mother, my older sister, my older brother, and I were baptized in my childhood Southern Baptist Church in Medora. It was amazing to be able to share the moment with my family. To be baptized is to be reborn in Christ. It isn't to say that you spend your life being perfect. I am far from it. But I have a peace and grace knowing God has forgiven me. I know where I will spend my eternity. My faith is my driving force that has gotten me through every rough spot over the years. And when I stumble and fall off the right path, I know God is always there to welcome me back with open arms.

December 2007, my husband of less than 2 months told me he wanted to get baptized. I told him no. I thought he was doing it to make me happy, I said let's wait and pray about it. In May 2008, I got the privilege of baptizing the love of my life. It was moving and wonderful. It was the beginning of our Christ center marriage. I am glad we prayed about it and waited until we knew he was doing it for all the right reasons.

Today Pastor Mike said there is a lot of decision about baptism and whether you need to be baptized to be a Christian. But if you look back in the Bible the earliest followers never debated it. When they decided to follow Christ they were submerged into the water to die to sin and be reborn to Christ. I liked that Pastor Mike talked about that. Too many people think it is useless step. If it is a useless step then why did Jesus get baptized by John the Baptist. He was showing us how to make your commitment to God. If you haven't been baptized, pray about it. Open yourself up and see where God leads you.

No comments:

Post a Comment