Thursday, May 26, 2011

146/365 rules can be broken once in awhile

I'm pretty strict.  I will admit that I'm a strict parent.  My husband and I have created rules and they are enforced.  We have never spanked our child.  We believe instead to reward good behavior.  Bad behavior happens.  No child is perfect.  They test the boundaries.  They get over tired and cranky.  My daughter's attitude when she hasn't had enough sleep mirrors my attitude when I haven't had enough sleep.  THAT'S BAD!  Ask my my husband.  He will not wake me unless the house is on fire.  I'm hateful about being woken up.  She's the same way.  Her Godmother calls her a mini-georgette, which is true for the good and the bad.  Instead of spanking we did time outs when she was little.  Time outs don't really work at this age.  So we have consequences.  You are being hateful, you lost TV for the day.  You are still being hateful, you lose any computer time.  It stops real quick.  Stories at bedtime being taken away is the biggest punishment and she will do anything to not lose that.  We have a rule about her lunch tote.  Last year her kindergarten teacher reminded her each day to bring it home.  Gabrielle never left it behind.  This year her teacher is teaching the class to be responsible for their belongings.  She doesn't remind them to take home their lunch boxes or umbrellas or anything.  Gabrielle kept leaving it at school.  So we made a rule, you leave it at school you have to eat whatever is the hot lunch the next day.  She left it at school yesterday.  She was so upset this morning because the hot lunch was the rib sandwich.  (you know the knock off of the McRib)  It's disgusting.  She didn't want to eat it.  She reasoned she could take my lunch tote.  I said then you'd leave both.  No I won't.  I explained the rule.  I sent her off to school.  Then I started to think about that nasty sandwich.  Making my daughter eat that would be cruel and unusual punishment.  I couldn't do that to her.  So I caved.  (Mike called me a softie which I am, but I never cave from punishments/consequences.)  I had a Panera gift card.  I decided to surprise Gabrielle with lunch.  She was so happy.  I got to spend lunch with her.  It was fun for both of us.  I know other people would disagree but it's okay to break a rule every once in a great while.

No comments:

Post a Comment