Tuesday, April 19, 2011

109/365 never too late

I love Erma Bombeck.  My Grandma introduced me to her writing.  My Grandma and Erma are long gone but I still feel connected through the books.  I was reading "If life is a bowl of cherries-what am I doing in the pits?" It was written in 1971.  Some of it may feel a little out dated but a lot still hits home.  I wanted to share this one with you:
My Turn
For years, you've watched everyone else do it.
The children who sat on the curb eating their lunches while waiting for the bus.
The husband you put through school who drank coffee standing up and who slept with his hand on the alarm.
And you envied them and said, "Maybe next year I'll go back to school." And the years went by and this morning you looked into the mirror and said, "You blew it.  You're too old to pick it up and start a new career."
This column is for you.
Margaret Mitchell won her first Pulitzer for Gone with the Wind in 1937.  She was 37 at the time.
Senator Margaret Chase Smith was elected to Senate for the first time in 1948 at the age of 51.
Ruth Gordon picked up her first Oscar for Rosemary's Baby in 1968.  She was 72.
Billie Jean King took the battle of women's worth to a tennis court in Houston's Astrodome to outplay Bobby Riggs. She was 31.
Grandma Moses began a painting career at the age of 76.
Shirley Temple Black was named Ambassador to Ghana at the age of 47.
Golda Mei in 1969, was elected Prime Minister of Israel.  She had just passed her 71st birthday.
     You can tell yourself these people started out as exceptional.  You can tell yourself they had influence before they started.  You can tell yourself the conditions under which they achieved were different from yours.
     Or you can be like the woman I knew who sat at her kitchen window year after year and watched everyone else do it.  Then one day she said, "I do not feel fulfilled cleaning chrome faucets with a toothbrush.  It's my turn."  I was 37 at the time.
 
Like I said some of this is out dated.  But it still rings true.  It is never to late to change your path in life. I'm 30. I did.  I changed my career path and my health path which made my happiness path increase.  Stop waiting and do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment