Sunday, March 6, 2011

65/365 Putting my trust in God

Tonight our family devotional was about trusting God.  The Bible story was about Moses parting the Red Sea.  It was about how all the Israelite people gave up on God because Pharaoh's army had them trapped by the Red Sea.  Then God used Moses to part the Red Sea.  The Bible verse was "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7  At church Pastor Mike said that some of us are not great at praying all the time.  We become great at praying during the really rough times.  I have been guilty of both, not putting all my trust in God and not praying as hard/often in the good times.  I'm learning.  This last year I have felt like Job, where every time I think things can't get worse they do.  You name it. I've been through it.  I have been attacked on every front physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  It started last March with Mike's emergency surgery.  Then the Mother's Day from heck occurred.  Everything spiraled out of control from there.  Sometimes we just don't listen to God.  Mike Baker talked about praying hard enough and long enough God will answer.  Baker said he will either answer by slamming doors shut or opening them.  I have seen God slam doors in my face this past year.  It made me feel abandoned.  Today I realized He slammed those doors because He was steering me in another direction.  I believe He is slamming the doors because I wasn't listen to Him.  I wasn't following His whisperings, so He yelled at me.  I'm learning God. I'm listening to your doors slamming and watching the new doors opening.  I'm going to trust you.  My family is going to trust and lean on you.
My picture of the day is a wonderful present I got from a high school friend for graduation.  This has been in every dorm room, apartment, and house I have lived in.  It sits in my kitchen.  It is the Lord's Prayer.  When I'm lost for words, I cry out the Lord's Prayer over and over.  It is comforting.  I know that God is listening to my heart even when I can't form the words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment