Wednesday, December 21, 2011

355 a year ago today...

These are boxes that I still haven't unpacked from my last job.  A year ago today was my last day as a social worker supervisor.  It was my last day of a full time job.  That day was so emotional.  I had worked there for five and a half years.  It was my first real job post college.  My first job using my degree.  It was the income I needed to move out on my own.  It was the experience I need to become a professional and a leader.  I got to help make other people's lives better.  I became a semi-expert on hoarding by default.  I seemed to have all the hoarders.  I even gave a few presentations on hoarding.  I also became an expert with dealing with difficult clients.  I learned when to be tough and when to give a little lead way.  I made great work friends.  Some who are still great friends.  I learned a lot.  The major thing I learned is that I meant to work with children.  So a year ago I walked away from my comfort zone.  I walked away from a job I could have easily done for the rest of my life.  I felt God calling me to become a teacher.  I felt it my whole life.  I got side tracked in college and ended up with a psych degree.  I took the first job I could get when I was leaving Terrence.  I ended up finding a wonderful job with the elderly.  But my heart was never in it.  I wasn't meant for that job.  I have spent this year going to school to become a ECE teacher.  It has been a growing period.  I get to observe and actually teach lessons.  I have been able to help at Gabrielle's school two days a week in the library and in her class.  I get to teach three-year-old children at church.  I get to lead a child care group Thursday nights at church.  I am watching an infant 3 days a week.  I am happier than I ever been.  I am moving in the direction of my dreams.  My husband just made a leap to follow his dream career wise as well.  God has blessed us so much.  So my advice to you is go for it.  Step out of your comfort zone.  If you never risk anything how will you ever gain anything? 

No comments:

Post a Comment