Tuesday, May 10, 2011

130/365 raising a bi-racial daughter in a racist world

I have known since I found out I was pregnant that I faced different issues then some parents.  My daughter has been blessed to have everyone in her family (dad's, mom's, and step-dad's families) accept her and love her for who she is.  I am not naive.  I don't think this will always be the case.  I didn't fully understand racism was still as bad as it was until I dated her dad.  I wrote an article for the school paper on it.  I believe it has been some of best writing to date for me.  He opened my eyes to the racism that I had been blind to.  He taught me that sometimes you have to ignore it.  Some people will never truly get over their racism.  He said something to the effect, "You would drive yourself crazy arguing or trying to educate every dirty look or racist comment."  He was right.  It's everywhere.  People don't even know when they are doing it.  I try to educate everyone that I can which can be maddening.  I remembering having a small child ask me if I was babysitting Gabrielle.  I said no I'm her mom.  "She's black. You're white.  You can't be her mom."  I explained that her father is black and her mother is white that makes her bi-racial; all this while her father just sat there.  I now face a tougher challenge of educating my daughter.  It began last MLK day.  When she came home from school she asked if she was white or black.  (Before than she didn't know color. Most small children don't according to her teachers.)  I told her she was both.  She got upset and said she wanted to be just like me.  I said she was lucky.  Everybody is their father and mother combined.  She gets to be bi-racial which is special.  I explained that her father is black and her mother is white.  She cried and said she didn't want to be the only one.  I said, you're not.  I listed off all the kids in her class, people she knew, and lastly President Obama.  She thinks it is cool that she gets to be just like him.  But she still tries to say she wishes she has more freckles or red hair.  I tell her I wish I had her curls and could tan like she does in the summer instead of my burning.  She laughs and tells me yes I don't want to burn like you.  I know as she gets older there will be bigger questions and more issues to deal with.  I'm ready.  My favorite children's books so far on the topic is my picture of the day.
Gabrielle loves to read.  So I have books with white characters, black characters, Mexican characters, etc.  I ask for advice from teachers who have been teaching on race issues for years.  I keep myself educated.  She has asked more and more questions. So far I have had the answers.  When the day comes that I don't have the answers, I will be honest.  I will research it and get back to her.  I think the most important thing for any child is to know that they are loved exactly the way they are.  They need to know they are loved unconditionally from their parents.  She knows that.  She knows she has 3 parents who love her that way.  How lucky can you get?  I know we will tackle these issues as they arise just like we tackle all issues through prayer and guidance from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment