Wednesday, May 4, 2011

124/365 Girl Scout Capitol Day

I never allow Gabrielle to miss school unless she is really sick.  I decided to let her miss today for Girl Scout Day at the Capitol.  She had an excuse letter from Lisa Madigan so I figured it was safe.  It was a great learning opportunity.  She had a blast.  She wants to go back and tour the Capitol building (the others in our group didn't want to).  She also wants to spend a day going through all the Lincoln homes and Lincoln sites.  She loved touring the Old Capitol building, ballet class (where she learned the cha-cha slide which made me think of her dad who is the master of that dance), having a rally, and so much more.  It was a wonderful learning experience.  I promised one day this summer we would go and do more sites.  I love that she is interested in history. I love history.  Mike loves history. My mom loves history.  Her dad's major was history.  Love of history runs in the family.  Here are some of my favorites.  I couldn't choose one. 
She made a Lincoln hat. The sun was super bright but she didn't want to wear sunglasses in pictures.
This was the rally to the Capital where all the Girl Scouts(over 2,000) and family got to parade to the Capitol.

This is the rest of her troop that made it.  They were posing being silly.  I hope the next time we go more girls can make it.
She loved her pin wheel she made.  I think she looks super cute in this picture.
Making bracelet together in the very warm sun.  It felt great to have the sun out again.  All and all it was a wonderful day.  She learned a lot and had fun.  I'm glad we got to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment